Become a member

Get the best offers and updates relating to Liberty Case News.

― Advertisement ―

spot_img
HomeBrasilTrump says he does not know if El Salvador would return Kilmar...

Trump says he does not know if El Salvador would return Kilmar Ábrego García and hasn’t asked – live | US news

Trump says he does not know if El Salvador would return mistakenly deported Kilmar Ábrego García and hasn’t asked

Donald Trump said on Wednesday he did not know how El Salvador’s president, Nayib Bukele, would respond to a request to return a man his administration mistakenly deported from Maryland, adding he has not spoken to him.

At the cabinet meeting earlier, a reporter had pulled Trump up on his comments in his ABC News interview last night that he “could” secure Kilmar Ábrego García’s return but won’t do so, despite the supreme court’s ruling that his administration must facilitate Ábrego García’s return to the US.

Trump said:

I don’t know. I haven’t spoken to him. I really leave that to the lawyers and I take my advice from Pam [Bondi] and everybody that is very much involved. They know the laws and we follow the laws exactly.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Trump officials must report efforts, if any, to return mistakenly deported Kilmar Ábrego García, judge rules

A federal judge has again directed the Trump administration to provide information about its efforts so far, if any, to comply with her order to retrieve Kilmar Ábrego García from an El Salvador prison, the Associated Press reports.

US district judge Paula Xinis in Maryland temporarily halted her directive for information at the administration’s request last week. But with the seven-day pause expiring at 5pm ET, she set May deadlines for officials to provide sworn testimony on anything they have done to return him to the US.

Ábrego García, 29, has been imprisoned in El Salvador for nearly seven weeks, while his mistaken deportation has become a flash point for Donald Trump’s immigration policies and his increasing friction with the US courts.

The president acknowledged to ABC News on Tuesday that he “could” call El Salvador’s president and have Ábrego García sent back. “And if he were the gentleman that you say he is, I would do that,” Trump told ABC’s Terry Moran in the Oval Office, as he doubled down on his claims that Ábrego García is a member of the MS-13 gang. Asked by a reporter at his cabinet meeting on Wednesday if Nayib Bukele would respond to a request to return a Ábrego García, Trump said he did not know and he has not spoken to him.

Xinis ordered the Trump administration to return him nearly a month ago, on 4 April. The supreme court ruled on 10 April that the administration must facilitate bringing him back.

But the case only became more heated. Xinis lambasted a government lawyer who couldn’t explain what, if anything, the Trump administration has done. She then ordered officials to provide sworn testimony and other information to document their efforts.

The Trump administration appealed. But a federal appeals court backed Xinis’ order for information in a blistering ruling, saying: “We shall not micromanage the efforts of a fine district judge attempting to implement the supreme court’s recent decision.”

The Trump administration resisted, saying the information Xinis sought involved protected state secrets and government deliberations. She in turn scolded government lawyers for ignoring her orders and acting in “bad faith”.

Share